Do you struggle to keep your children reading all summer long? Do your children complain that books are boring? You can help your children enjoy reading by suggesting some of these fun books next time you are at the library or bookstore.
- To the Beach! by Linda Ashman – This fun book tells the story of a family on the way to the beach. Will they be able to have a fun day at the beach despite all the problems that come up on the way?
- A Summery Saturday Morning by Margaret Mahy – A family decides to take their dogs on a walk on a beautiful Saturday morning. The wonderful wording of this book makes it a fun read-aloud.
- Harry by the Sea by Gene Zion – Whether or not your children are already familiar with Harry the Dirty Dog, they will love this story about Harry and his trip to the seashore. Harry is mistaken for a sea serpent when he is covered with seaweed. Will he be able to convince everyone that he is not a sea serpent?
- When the Fireflies Come by Jonathan London – This gorgeous picture book takes a child through a summer day all the way through when the fireflies come out at night. The pictures and fun sound words make this book come to life while you are reading it!
- Summer Reading is Killing Me! by Jon Scieszka – In this Time Warp Trio book, the boys put their summer reading book list into their time traveling book. This mistake causes them to be forced to live through the books they should be reading that summer. Kids will enjoy imagining if their summer reading list came to life!
- The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies – When a brother finds out that his younger sister is skipping a grade next year into his class, the news is definitely not what he wants to hear. The tension between the siblings causes their summer lemonade stand businesses to become extra competitive. Not only is this a fun book, it might inspire your children to start their own lemonade stand business.
- Lawn Boy by Gary Paulsen – A 12 year old boy starts a lawn mowing business which rapidly turns into a summer full of interesting adventures through the advice of a neighbor. This book is a humorous lesson in business for your child.
- Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer by Megan McDonald – As in every Judy Moody book, summer becomes a whirlwind adventure with this lively tomboy. Being stuck at home during the summer gives Jody the opportunity to carry out some wild and crazy ideas!
Your children will love these fun books this summer. Not only will just reading them be pleasant, but they may give your children some fun ideas of their own to try this summer as well!
What other summer fun books do your children like to read during the summer?
Photo by: Loren Kerns